In today’s fast paced world, it is easy to spend an entire day answering emails, reading reports, fielding phone calls, and still feeling like you didn’t get much done.
In order to make progress toward your goals and not just spend all your time managing mindless minutia, you must be able to prioritize your tasks and minimize the distractions that slow you down. Here are a few tips to help you in this process.
- Slow down before you start up. Taking even 5 minutes to get centered before starting your workday will improve your productivity by at least 30%. Set a timer, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Once your time is up, dive in.
- Refocus on your TRUE goals. It is easy to get caught up with all the expectations placed on you by others. Take a few moments to write down what you would like to accomplish this year, this month, this week and today. Structure your day’s tasks around that, and your work will feel meaningful.
- Remove distractions. Remove or turn off all the things that will create distractions for you. This could be your electronic devices, the T.V., the dishes or a small child. Either remove the distraction or remove yourself so you can focus on the tasks at hand.
- Email can wait. Opening your inbox can feel like stepping into a firefight. You are instantly faced with action items, demands and expectations from others. If you take the time to accomplish a few steps toward your projects before handling your correspondence, you will feel much more productive during your day.
- Keep your commitments. We will keep our commitments to others, but will quickly break them with ourselves. Breaking commitments to ourselves sends a message that other things are more important than our goals and desires. To counteract this negative message, set small goals and complete them so you can get into the habit of honoring your commitments and sending the message that your goals do matter.
What will YOU do to stay on your TRUE track TODAY?